With tweaks could be extremely useful (and easily justify a price increase!)
Matthew Jackson write:
I manage six properties.
Here are the things that - for me - would make this a 100% more useful app:
0. Something critical: "last month" pre-payments. As it stands I am putting the "last" portion of my "first last and security" in the key deposit field...please add a prepaid last month field! That this is not in here beggars belief.
1. The overall design concept:
Right now, to check who has paid what, who owes, etc., there is no "rapid glance" on the homescreen of the app. Would be nice to see my one tenant who is $25 behind right now perhaps with a note in red stating this fact on the home screen, put her entry at the top (if I so desire), etc.
The design concept as it stands is a "drill down" model - I have to go into the property, into the tenant, scroll down and click rent history (three steps) to get to what should just be right there on the home screen of the app.
2. Perhaps this is my fault in not understanding how to do this (if it is there), but it would be nice to not have to enter multi-unit properties as separate properties.
3. The app seems to want to force you to enter an email. I guarantee you a section 8 tenant in my area having an email is a rarity. I have entries littered with random "R"s or "4"s just to fill the space to let it "allow" me to save the record. Do not require field entry on anything but first or last name! Especially for intial entry for those who have many units.
4. The "Properties" list has two click areas: a HUGE area (click anywhere on the address) to see property information: photos, repairs, notes. All of these items will RARELY be used by me, whereas the thing you have to click the "tiny" arrow for (to the far right side of each entry on the properties list) will be used MOST often...I would suggest switching these links! Make the "most often" function big and easy to press. The less often used function (general property info) should be the small one that is out of the way!
5. It would be nice for me to be able to quickly log a rent payment for a given property's current tenant right from the main "Properties" screen...what about for example a couple of buttons on each line, such as one for the Property information (farthest away, smallest because least used), then one for quick-log a payment, then one for tenant contact (which would go to the phone/txt/email pop up, which is really nice and well done). MOSTLY just give me a way to access "rent history" closer to the front page!
Sometimes we can think it silly to make these changes to "just save a few seconds" - but a lot of times people who are less tech savvy it can mean the difference between LOVING an app and being confused by or despising it. This does not apply to me (I can go through whatever gyrations you like) but if it means I spend two minutes a month instead of five minutes a month logging rent, that is a benefit and would yield this app more stars.
6. This app is a bit terrifying: let us export our data. Or email it to ourselves at intervals, maybe with a plain-text or .csv "backup" file. Something. Same goes with pictures. A (half) competing free app makes their money by acting as an interface to a pay site that stores the photos. If you could integrate - let us say - an easy way to simply save these CRUCIAL and very RISK-REDUCING property photos to a Google album (which is what I use), that would be a HUGE selling point, and to me would easily justify a double or more price increase. THIS IS A BIG ONE FOR ME: GIVE ME SECURITY!!
Finally, a minor and far less important point:
7. Other apps have an ROI calculator...functionally speaking, that is not of any "real" day-to-day (or even month-to-month) use to me, although it would be a nice selling point if it's not too difficult...it is fun to see that kind of thing. For me, though, an ROI calculator (enter PITI, enter income or incomes from units and get a read on how well your investment is treating you) is last in line relative to the points above.
8. I use the Toodledo app and it's website like a madman to manage my property management tasks. It is by far the best I have found, all told. Free site and $2.99 app that keeps my sanity solidly in place. If this app would somehow sync the work orders and/or to-do's with that app or it's site (or any comparable online cloud based to-do list) that would be a great benefit. As it stands I do not use the work orders/to-do's in this app, I keep it in Toodledo.